Option a) was what I suggested a ways back, and I still stand by it.
I think it provides the greatest transparency, and simplicity, yet it is
still very flexible.
I don't think it would be hard to accomplish either. This is the small
re-org I was hinting at, you've already done the hard part.

@purplecabbage
risingj.com