On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Jason Smith <j...@couch.io> wrote:

> Woah! Can we all please take a step back and talk about what problem this
> solves?
Not everyone want to use a proxy to do smart vhosting. Not everyone do
mass hosting. Some people just want to host their couchdb on port 80
like some tshirt said.

> Benoit, your work is *excellent* however on behalf of couchdb
> administrators, I must say, these proposed vhost rules look complicated, and
> difficult or impossible to support in a reverse-proxy environment.

I don't see how it changed compared to previous system.

before : check Host, use rewrite rule
now: check Host or X-Forwarded-Host , use rewrite rule

what was added, is a way to make the rewrite rule smarter. So no
change for people using a reverse proxy. More over now work is easier
for proxy since they can use the X-Forwarded-Host header which wasn't
possible before.

> What exactly is the problem that vhosts and _rewrite cannot solve?

I have 1000 apps on 1000 dbs, each of this app want to have a nice
domain name. Rather than having 1000 lines i can just do now :

$appname.$dbname.mydomain.tld = /$dbname/_design/$appname/_rewrite

other : rather than having 2 lines for www. and . I can just do :

*.domain.tlld = /db/....

Pb to solve, deploying just a couchdb rather than a couchdb + a proxy ++++++ .

> I have no final opinion. However I think a CouchApp or Futon feature which
> manages vhosts might be better, long-term, despite being more work to
> implement at this time.

I don't see how it could work If vhost isn't implemented on server
side it can't work.

- benoit