On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 23:14, Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 19 Aug 2010, at 16:49, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> >
> >> Well asking without giving yourself some data make it irrelevant but
> >
> > Not really.
> >
> > I'm suggesting that if we're going to use performance as an argument, we
> use data and not supposition.
>
> The way pattern matching works should explain by itself though ;)

AFAIK Erlang ships with Perl-compatible regular expressions written in C.

re:compile()

Anyway the whole performance argument is not relevant. Who cares? You are
about to do a b-tree lookup from the hard disk. How much will regex vs.
pattern match on a 20-byte string matter?

My point was, why are we inventing syntax out of our asses for every
different situation? Regular expressions should be considered because:

 1. They match patterns
 2. They capture groups and can access them later
 3. Everybody knows them

--
Jason Smith
Couchio Hosting