On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 23:53, Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 19 Aug 2010, at 17:48, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
>
> >>  3. Everybody knows them
> >
> > that's not true. http://xkcd.com/208/
> >
> > To answer to this "reinventing" . We had long discussions on how to
> > manage rewriting in couchapps. Some included "regexp", we fall in the
> > current system. Ie pattern matching because it was a lot easier to
> > understand and *simple*.  SInce the system is already in place, I
> > wanted to reuse it too, there is no need to have 2 dofferent ways to
> > handle rewriting.
> >
> > I would like to keep it *simple*, that's the key.
>
> We're approaching bike shed territory... :D

Sure. This is my final statement on the matter.

My feeling is when you need

 * pattern matching (the concept, not Erlang)
 * capturing substrings
 * building new strings based on the captured parts
 * Understood by *most* programmers and sysadmins is lagniappe

Then the burden of proof is on the person who says regular expressions are
inferior to an off-the-cuff implementation.

--
Jason Smith
Couchio Hosting