Michelle,
suggest Medium account with ...

"Email notifications on your content
( We’ll email you when there’s notifications on your stories and publications.)"

... set to design@ to comply with ASF policy as per Alexander's concern

Alexander,
I support you on encouraging ermouth suggestion to use Couch/Pouch based
Inliner app as bases for this.
Agree that is not crazy at all, on the contrary. I am using Inliner now and it
is a very good candidate to extend into Medium-like community app.
Integration with AFS mailing list would then be possible to customize for
"backward compatibility" while entering the area that arrived when social media
supplemented email).

Medium, however has an excellent model for commenting that could be improved on
and seen as the pilot exercise for including designers in the community.
(I presume Michelle's ambition is to attract a new group of contributors, not
only teach the non-desginers about design)

johs