Chase,
I am not sure why or the reasoning behind this, but it might explain why
Severity is null for your DiseaseDisorderMention example:
Line 319 in TemplateFillerAnnotator.java:

If I'm reading this logic correctly, it will only populate severity for
SignSymptomMention....   Can't think of why not to populate it if it exists in
the BinaryTextRelations-
have you tried adding: ddm.setSeverity(degreeOfTextRelation); instead of
logging the error ???

                                if (eventMention instanceof
DiseaseDisorderMention) {
                                        DiseaseDisorderMention ddm =
(DiseaseDisorderMention) eventMention;
                                        logger.error("Need to implement attr
for " + relation + " for DiseaseDisorderMention");
                                } else if (eventMention instanceof
SignSymptomMention) {
                                        SignSymptomMention ssm =
(SignSymptomMention) eventMention;
                                        ssm.setSeverity(degreeOfTextRelation);

Would you mind opening a Jira attach a patch/test if it works for you?
-Pei