On 2/25/11 10:51 AM, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:

In your opinion, why would such (Java) users prefer an HTTP centric
interface for consuming messages backed up by JMS stores, when they
just can do plain Java JMS ?

What do you think ?

(Remember you asked what I think so....)

I don't think people should use CXF nor Resteasy nor SOAP if their environment is all Java. As you said, use native Java JMS protocols.

The benefit of using a Messaging RESTful interface is for, IMO, to provide lightweight inter-language/platform support. If you check out the HornetQ rest examples, specifically Python ones, you'll see they use the built in http client that comes with the language and nothing else.

Through content-negotiation and JAX-RS providers we also support transformation of JMS client sent Java objects into the representation the REST client desires. And vice versa, unmarshalling of representations to Java objects using JAX-RS.

As a side note, I'll eventually be pulling out the API into a specification. Probably submitting it as an Internet Draft at IETF so we can leverage a neutral and respected entity's specification process. That way, anybody could implement and support it.

I'm sorry to plug our stuff here, but, I have to spread the word
whenever I see somebody interested in HTTP + messaging.

http://jboss.org/hornetq/rest

If people using HornetQ as a messaging solution could plugin CXF
JAX-RS to back up your interface then I'd be the first one who would
blog about it and promote it. On CXF lists we discuss CXF-based issues
or solutions.

HornetQ REST could probably be ported quite easily to CXF as most of it is pure JAX-RS (minus config and the client framework). Honestly, from the client perspective it has nothing to do with CXF or Resteasy. The client is free and encouraged to use any HTTP client framework in any language they desire.

I think its fair to suggest to somebody asking about JMS integration solutions other than CXF. We encourage such posts on resteasy mail list. For example, I always defer to Jersey regardings WADL as I have zero interest in implementing or supporting it.

I'll shut up now, unless you want to talk more about JMS/REST/Messaging anymore.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat