On 22/01/14 17:18, Daniel Kulp wrote:

On Jan 22, 2014, at 12:01 PM, Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
wrote:

There is one thing that might be different.

I recently "committed/pushed" a change from a non committer to karaf. I
proposed to the developer to fork the karaf repo on github and commit and push there. I
then thought to use a github pull request but this probably would not have worked as the
karaf repo at github is readonly. So I pulled his changes into my own checkout and pushed
them to karaf at apache. So the commits still had his name in them. JB then told me that
this is probably not allowed.

Personally, I prefer that as we then know exactly where that change came from.

So the question is: how would the process look like for pull requests? Is it ok
that the original non committer name is in the commit or do we have to avoid
this?

Git does record the Author separate from the committer.  In theory, in this
case, the two could be different.  I’m just not sure how to make that happen.
 A 'git log --pretty=fuller’  should produce both names.    I’m not sure how
you pulled the changes from github to cause both the committer and author to be
the same.  Ideally, it would retain the author and put you in as committer, but
it doesn’t look like it did that for you.   We’d have to experiment a bit.

That said, if you do the pull with “—squash” to squash it down into a single
commit, that would also have your name I think.

Definitely getting into more advanced git stuff though.   I’m not advanced
enough with it to really know.  :-(

Does using 'git diff' and attaching the patches to JIRA works at all ?

Sergey

Dan

Christian