Of the 4 remaining "critical bugs or improvements" I think we should postpone
and release note these first two:

  *

  *   Improvement: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAFFODIL-2400 - New
SAX API causes performance degradations.
     *    It is a mystery why the SAX API is slower. The whole point of SAX is
lighter weight.
  *   Improvement: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAFFODIL-1422 -
disallow doctype decls in all XML and XSD we read in.
     *   Assigned to Mike Beckerle. Unlikely to be finished in time for release
3.1.0. Substantial code refactoring to do this right.

These next two seem rather important to fix:

  *   Bug: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAFFODIL-2183 - Unparse
complex nilled element fails
     *   There are data formats where I advised people a best-practice is to
use complex nilled elements to model a specific situation.
  *   Bug: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAFFODIL-2399 - error
diagnostics output even though there is an infoset
     *   This one is assigned to Steve Lawrence
     *   Seems rather important. Was a user-reported issue I believe.

The 5th critical ticket is for a new feature (bitwise and/or/xor, and shift
functions), so we can postpone that one.

So only DAFFODIL-2183 really needs someone to take it on.