Andrew Jensen wrote:
HI,

This message is prompted by the latest update to Issue 74927, but it is not
about that individual issue.

Base is slow - how much more information from the user community do you need
on that piont?.

Base using the HSQL embedded engine is the worst case.

Specifically -

Startup time is bad
Search times are terrible ( search using the GUI tools )
Copy / Paste as a means to transfer data into Base is horrendous

I have not seen anything coming from the development community to make me
think that it is being addressed, but I bet it is.

The enhancements to Base since the initial release have been important, but
at some point someone in the development group needs to address the
performance issues directly.

Hopefully this message gives you that opportunity.

Respectfully

Drew Jensen

Before a response to the post I would like to add this.

Is there anything that the user community can do to help?.

For instance, would it help to setup a series of test scenarios to try and pinpoint the bottlenecks?

If so, what types metrics would be most useful?

A specific idea for instance -

Would it help if one, or more, of us could do some runtime profiling on the code? Personally, its been a while but I would be willing to commit time and resources to a project such as that. If there are particular tools used by the development teams for this I would be willing to use them.

Along the same lines - would it help to have a, well documented and controlled, test bed of database configurations to test on. If that would help I would be willing to setup and maintain such a testing environment. I can't cover all the different configurations at my location, but I can dedicate some of what resources I do have to this and would be willing to actively solicit others to get involved to build a broader coverage of configurations.

Would it be useful to start some form of documentation specifically about performance issues with Base - "Tips and Tricks" or "Dos and Don's" or whatever people think makes sense on this.

The other thing is simply communication - perhaps the multi-threaded framework being worked on for the 3.0 release is expected to address performance issues - if so, then letting the user community know this would be a help.

Sorry, for doubling up on the post here and thanks for your time on this in advance.

Drew