Dear Andrew:

I have appreciated your many past contributions to the OO Base forums.
I recognize that my application requirements are somewhat different from
yours, e.g., I use OO Calc as GUI for OO Base due to the nature of
business data.  However, some of your issues mentioned in this thread
might be relevant to the need in a medium size business environment.

A little more technical details can help the OO Base team more
efficiently diagnose the problems.

> Search times are terrible ( search using the GUI tools )
> Copy / Paste as a means to transfer data into Base is horrendous

Your data search through the OO Base GUI is fundamentally a SQL query
statement.  Maybe a comparison of SQL query execution between the GUI
and CUI approaches will assist the OO Base team to further diagnose your
issue.  I can help you to reconstruct the plain SQL query statement from
your GUI version, in case that you need assistance.

Standalone HSQLDB typically has reasonable perfomance (although not the
fastest) when connected through HSQLDB JDBC driver in Java (standalone
BeanShell, no OO Base).  My personal experience with OO Base with test
data of thousands of records suggests that OO Base usually has
reasonable performance, using the following configurations:

approach 1 (automated):
MS Windows XP
OO Base (embedded HSQLDB)
OO Calc (as the replacement GUI, not OO Base GUI)
controlling script
   either OO Basic inside OO Calc
   or standalone Java BeanShell
   not OO embedded BeanShell due to its deficiency
data commands
   plain SQL commands through either sdbc.XConnection or
java.sql.Connection
   SQL query statements can be tested.

approach 2 (interactive):
MS Windows XP
OO Base (embedded HSQLDB)
OO Base CUI (not OO Base GUI)
   accessed through Tools - SQL
   directly interacting with the embedded HSQLDB engine
data commands
   plain SQL commands (batch insert, delete, update, etc.)
   SQL query statements are not tested as there is currently no way
   to interactively display the SQL query results through OO Base CUI.

Hope that this helps.

Ray