Hello *,

> Concluding the implementation underlying the search dialog is the spot.

Hmm, one of my very early implementations after I joined the company,
quite some years old, and untouched since then. Yes, performance-wise
not the best thing I ever did :)

FYI, for 2.3, the default of the "apply field format" checkbox will be
reverted: It's off by default then, means that no longer every control
will be updated for every record ...

> IMHO one implementation getting this thingy faster could be to combine
> both, a result set over all records and a query for searching. This
> query works fast getting the key(s) and the full result set can be used
> for showing the findings

Which implies the first result set also needs to have the keys. Also,
not sure it would scale for searches over all fields (well, most
probably better than today's solution). Not to mention the second result
set could have different data in a multi-user environment. Anyway, all
this is nitpicking :), it general it would work.

And, it's similar to a technique which at least one generic DB API,
namely ADO, already provides: It is able to specify a search criterion
(aka WHERE condition aka filter) for an existent result set, and then
move this result set to the matching record. I always thought about
using something like this, unfortunately, there ain't many backends
which support it. And implementing it for MSA DBs only doesn't sound too
reasonable ...

Anyway, the solution you sketch could even be used to simulate this
approach transparently, and it would work for a sufficiently great
percentage of cases.

Sounds tempting. Perhaps after the macros in Base documents? Or the
zillions of bugs targeted for 2.x, lingering in my intray? Or the UI for
HSQL text tables, planned and started long ago? (End of begging for
compassion. Well, September next year my "parental part time" at Sun
will be reverted back to full time, I'll probably have more time for the
interested Base issues then, though less time for the interesting
private ones. Hmm. Why is it I am so gossipy today? Stop it!)

PS: Yes, Andrew, your original mail still waits for my answer ...

--
- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -