Alex Thurgood wrote:

   On Thursday 21 June 2007 01:32:54 Martin d'Anjou wrote:

   Hi Martin,

I started using OO Base with ODBC and MySQL. It was slow to the point
of being unusable, and I almost gave up. However, I found that if I use
the IP address of the database server rather than the hostname, things
go much faster.

I have always had this issue when attempting to access a MySQL server via the internet. Usually what happens is that a timeout situation is reached, which cause Base to hang. This situation was present even in the pre-Base versions of OOo, i.e. in the 1.x series. OOo seems to have problems caching hostnames, rather than IP addresses. If you know the IP address, I have found, as you did, that things work much better.

Caching the result of name resolutions is certainly a task for the operating system but not for OOo. Something is wrong with the OS network setup here, specifically the name resolution (DNS or so)

Heiner

Hi Heiner:

OOo is the only application having problems here it seems. Everything
else (firefox, ping, traceroute, a vast number of scripts, etc.) has no
problems resolving names to internal or external ip addresses.

Thanks,
Martin