Hello Barbara,

> Why would Base need to "recover" a database when all OOo applications
> had been shut down normally (no Quickstarter, either)? In fact, no
> applications at all were running. This has happened to me fairly
> frequently, and it makes me nervous! Another curious thing is that
> sometimes there isn't even a name shown for the database, or even an
> indication that it's a database at all, but that's what comes up when I
> allow the recovery. It happened almost all the time when I was using a
> linked .dbf file; less often now, with an embedded database, and since I
> have a primary key associated with all the updates I'm hoping this
> "recovery" is non-destructive, but can anybody tell me what's going on?

Never encountered this ... except my memory fails here, since 2.0.4 is
*really* old (and I usually need brain-external memory to remember
everything older than 2 days).

> If it's a bug, and not yet reported, I'll write it up. Of course, it may
> be a 2.0.4 relic.

As with all others, please try whether this persists in 2.3, once you
upgraded to it.

> Clearly there's something going on in the system
> background, probably with the DDE Server or something (I'm on WinXP),
> but what's the effect (if any) on my data?

Well, 2.0.4 was somewhat prone to data loss (for embedded .odb files) in
that when OOo crashed after you entered data without closing the .odb,
then you had good chances the data was lost upon the next OOo start.
This has been fixed (well, relaxed, there still are some more seldom
situations, unfortunately) somewhere on the way, I don't remember the
concrete version.

Without knowing the reasons for your anomalie - the recovery though
there wasn't a crash - it's hard to guess the consequences. If at all, I
think they would be for the embedded HSQLDB only, not for linked .dbf files.

- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -