Hi Frank,

Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany escribió:
Hello Rajaraman,

This is a group of students and a professor wishing to work on the project
to implement "Joins in dBase queries" and/or "SQL Syntax Highlighting".

Welcome then! - A lot of users would certainly like to see progress on
those!

This is our first venture into Open Office projects.

We request you to point us to the right resources so that we can make a
beginning, if these projects are still out there to be executed.

In general, the best documentation you'll find is the source code itself
 :-\ So, to start, you should definitely have a working OOo build
environment, and a good debugger :)

In addition to what Ocke said, I added some more information for
starting those projects to the Wiki. See
I though the best place for this information is to be in the wiki, so I
extended the respective project descriptions.
See
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Base_To-Do/Joins_in_dBase_queries
and
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Base_To-Do/SQL_Syntax_Highlighting
 for some initial thoughts on this.

Also note that after I roughly sketched the syntax highlighting
implementation, I had to adjust the estimated effort, the original 2
weeks sounded too optimistic to me.

So, if you or your students want to embark on any of those projects, I
suggest you
- get a build/debug environment running
- poke in the code I pointed to in the Wiki, to see whether all this is
  complete nonsense to you, or whether you can make sense of it
- sketch an implementation
- carry this sketch to the final feature, accompanied all the way long
  here in [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I would add to the wiki

"There already is a place where syntax highlighting is implemented in OpenOffice.org: The Basic IDE uses it to, well, highlight the syntax of the Basic script you're editing..."

that there is another place: Writer/Web shows HTML highlighting (although very poor). Maybe they can find something usefull also there!

Bye and welcome!

--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina