Hi,

I offered and would like to write a specification concerning Base. As I
understand the procedures this would only make sense if I had an i-team,
which I currently lack.

So please read on, as I need a member of dev, ux and qa.

I hope, this is the proper approach to find these members. Anyway, I don't
know any other way. Please excuse me if I did it wrong.

In order to introduce the project I will write something about

(1) What is the subject of the specification
(2) What should be improved
(3) What the specification should describe
(4) What I think I can offer OOo

Since the spec affects Base (dba), maybe answers to this mail should be
addressed to d...@dba?

(Ad 1) As far as I know, there is no issue, but only the description of a
developer project in [1]

[1] http://dba.openoffice.org/development/projects.html#new_filter

(Ad 2)  Currently Base has two filters:

(a) The "filter dialog", used to filter rows of a table or query shown in the
data source browser. It is also used to add a filter in the properties dialog
of a form (at design time).

(b) The filter navigator used to filter rows displayed in a table controll of
a form (at runtime).

Both of these filters are quite different with respect to capability and user
interface. At least to me this was quite confusing at the beginning.

The specification should have the following objectives:

(A) Unify the user interface, i.e. describe a user interface for a new filter
dialog that can (and should) replace both, the old filter dialog and the
filter navigator.

(B) Enhance the functionality of the filter so that it will also meet the
requirements of power users. It should be possible to define filters with
more complex filter conditions.

(C) Provide a dialog that is easier to use.

(D) Provide a dialog that is more intuitive to use.

Well, (D) may turn out to be problematic, since I don't know any way about how
to measure intuitiveness.

(Ad 3) The specification should...

(a) Describe the logical structure of the filter without any regard to the
user interface. This will precisely describe the functionality of the filter.
This should support implementation and testing.

(b) Describe the user dialog, i.e. the interaction of the user with the user
interface.

(c) Describe each dialog window in detail (layout, properties of the controls
etc.)

(Did I miss anything?)

(Ad 4) I have more than ten years of experience with enterprise software.  I
am browsing tables almost on a daily basis. Thus, I think I have a good
understanding of what a (power) user needs and wants.

On the other hand, I don't know the source code of OOo and I do not plan to
implement the new filter dialog. This is one reason why I also need a
developer in the i-team (which need not be the person to actually implement
the filter later).

I am not familiar with the procedures with OOo projects. Thus, I need some
support in this regard.

Since writing this specification will require some effort on my side, I
wouldn't like it to be in vain. So I hope to find the necessary support (i.e.
an i-team) so that the new filter will likely be integrated into OOo in the
not so distant future...

-Karl

Am Sonntag, 1. März 2009 23:02 schrieb Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems
Germany: