On 11/2/11 10:10 AM, Selcuk AYA wrote:
* When preparing txn log edits, I will need to log Modification and
Attribute objects and keep them in memory for a while. Is it necessary
to clone these objects while doing the logging at partition nexus
level? In other words, will they be modified after reaching nexus
level. I am thinking no but I wanted to check because I looked at
changelog implementation and it does cloning.
Once at the nexus level, the elements won't be modified.
The ChangeLog stores (currently) data in memory, and those data are kept for
a while, so cross transactions. This is the reason why we clone the entry
and Attributes.
with transactions, the attributes and modifications will be kept in
memory cross transactions as well. But my understanding( and the thing
I wanted to verify) is that Attributes, their Values and Modification
objects should not change any more once they are at the Nexus level as
these objects created per modification request and they are ready to
be applied to  Entry objects.
Once in the nexus, the objects aren't modified.

About the changelog, you have to know that we keep them as long as we need the elements, but as we keep all of them, we are memory bound anyway. Also we don't need to keep the original entry in the changeLog, as we only have to apply the revert operation. The original entry is just needed to compute the reverse entry.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com