Hi all,

compared to competitors OpenOffice has a lot of printed/printable documentation material. By printable documentation I mean all documentation that is laid out for being read on printouts like books, booklets and so on. For Office 2007 Microsoft has forgone the user manual completely. Therefore I am asking you "Do we really need all this printable material? For which purpose?"

Even if we assume that printed documentation is necessary I wonder if it should not be reduced. Perhaps it would be easier to split up the big User Manual in application manuals (one manual for Writer, one for Calc etc.)? And what is the purpose of the User Manual compared to the much smaller How to's? Who cares for a How To after it was published? Shouldn't it be removed from the website or go to an archive when it was not updated after a certain time?
Where does the "Getting Started Guide" from Sun fit in there?

On the other hand the broadening of online documentation is underway. Apart from our online help we will have more and more help contents in the web. Do we have any possibilities to update the printable material and transfer it into our wiki?

The big competitors use the web for up-to-date documentation, tutorials, tips & tricks, videos. What can we do to offer a more modern approach to documentation?

Hope to hear from you
Martina