On 08/26/2010 02:41 PM, Joe Smith wrote:
[ Sorry, I'm jumping into the middle of a thread here. I don't have the original message to reply to. ]

Mariano,

As a frustrated beginner with Base, I've been eagerly awaiting a draft of your tutorial. Now that it's here, I can say it was definitely worth the wait: you've done a great job organizing the material and explaining complex material very clearly. That's a big challenge, but you really nailed it, I think. This should be a huge help to people who need to get started doing actual work with Base.

As I've read through, I've noticed a few typos and run into some questions, so I started collecting them. I was going to go all the way through, but this is long enough already and I want to try to coordinate with Drew and anyone else who's proofing.

I'm not necessarily looking for a response, but if there's any follow-up, we can use the list, or just email me directly.

Wow - well, just proves that I am not copy editor..

p20
... whether in one filed or in multiple columns.
... whether in one _field_ or in multiple columns.

p21
... Teacher ID and Project Name _conform_ the compound primary key...

Maybe "form"?

Lets _re-sate_ this in formal parlance:
Lets _re-state_ this in formal parlance:

p35
... they are assigned to a _therapists_ ...
... they are assigned to a _therapist_ ...

p36
We can imagine that a patient and a _therapists_ ...
We can imagine that a patient and a _therapist_ ...

p42
Seems to use inconsistent terminology, sometimes referring to the people being treated at the clinic as "patients" and other times as "clients". For example,

What is the situation with the medication? We already know that
one _client_ would be using... medications (0..n) while several
medications could be being used by several _patients_ at the same
time (n..m).

On this one - that really is closer to real life - folks talk about patients and clients and of course it is just one person. There is a name for this, persona - so sometimes a person has the persona of a client, for instance when viewed by the client administrator and other times they have the persona of patient, as when a doctor or therapist is talking about them.

Drew