Right, I think there is a real need to support UserAdmin, but given
both JAAS and UserAdmin will be used for the same thing, it should be
easy to support both using a simple interface:

   public interface WebConsoleSecurityProvider {
      /** Check if the user with the specified password exists and
return an object identifying the user, else throw an exception */
      public Object authenticate(String username, String password)
throws SecurityException;
      /** Check that the authenticated user has the given role
permission or throw an exception */
      public void authorize(Object user, String role) throws SecurityException;
   }

Imho, this should be sufficient to provide authentication and
authorization for the web console and can be easily implemented using
UserAdmin or JAAS.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet