On May 27, 2009, at 12:11 , Guillaume Nodet wrote:

I don't think having a UserAdmin delegating to JAAS could work because
JAAS does not provide anything about modifying the underlying storage
for creating / removing users or groups.   UserAdmin provides such
features, so I think it has to be to other way around: it should be
quite easy to implement a JAAS login module that delegates to
UserAdmin.

I appearantly don't know JAAS well enough, that's a good point. Also, the compendium spec (107.7) talks a bit about JAAS and UserAdmin, that might be worth having a look at.

Given I don't think requiring JAAS is a good idea, that's why I
proposed such a simple API.

Ok.

I don't really see any drawback to such a pluggable mechanism, as I
think it can be implemented for both JAAS and UserAdmin in a few lines
of code: [snip..]

It's not a big drawback, I agree. I still have a small preference for using UserAdmin as the basis (even if you cannot implement any of the methods that modify things using JAAS) but a small extra interface is okay too.

Greetings, Marcel