On 10/1/09 16:36, Felix Meschberger wrote:
Hi,

Sten Roger Sandvik schrieb:
You are right. We should probably skip version 2.0.0 and go ahead to do a
version 2.0.1. I do not tag 2.0.0 since it's a failed release.
Or brather 2.0.2 because this is bundle release. The reason has been
outline before but basically it is because Maven thinks 2.0.1 is more
recent than 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT while OSGi thinks 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT is more recent.

For this reason we reserve odd numbers for SNAPSHOTs and even numbers
for releases. [This rule only applies for bundles and not for maven
bundles were we just increment as usual]

While this is true, it really depends when it comes to micro releases.

For the framework we are typically working toward the next minor release, e.g., 2.1.0-SNAPSHOT in trunk. However, when we go to cut the release, if it is only a maintenance release, then we release it as 2.0.1 and there never was a 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT. Then trunk stays at 2.1.0-SNAPSHOT. In other words, our trunk is never a micro release, it is always a minor (or major) release.

On the other hand, if a subproject operates as a micro release in trunk, then yes they should likely follow the even/odd numbering strategy to avoid version number inversion like you suggest.

-> richard

Regards
Felix

/ srs