On Jun 7, 2010, at 1:17 PM, Richard S. Hall wrote:

> On 6/7/10 15:52, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> This isn't too important, but I have to admit that
>>

>>> charged with the creation and maintenance of
>>> open-source software related to an OSGI based runtime for
>>> creating enterprise servers
>>>
>> doesn't actually say anything meaningful to me because
>> it has too many happy market terms.
>>
>> Would it be fair to summarize Karaf as
>>
>> "an OSGI-based runtime container that allows various components
>> and applications to be dynamically deployed within a Java servlet
>> environment"
>>

> I don't think there was an attempt to use "happy market terms", but we can
> certainly try to improve the description.
>
> Your characterization seems somewhat narrowly focused on servlets, but Karaf
> really is a generic, OSGi-based runtime for creating enterprise servers,
> which may or may not use servlets. It simply tries to provide a common set of
> generic features needed by enterprise services, such as hot deployment,
> configuration management, logging, extensible and remotely accessible shell,
> etc. You could build any sort of server out of these features.

Just to be clear, I don't know if Karaf has any association with
servlets -- it was just a suggestion based on the website content
and the fact that it seems to be Java only.

Enterprise (at least the way you are using it) is a happy market term.
What it would normally mean in a software context is a software system
that spanned multiple organizations within a larger federation (such
as many departments within a large company).  Unless Karaf is actually
doing something as an application, like a CMS or Peopleware or SAP or
Subversion, then it doesn't make sense to say that it is creating
enterprise servers (if there is ever any sense in that phrase).
Saying that it provides OSGI services that are commonly used by
enterprise servers is fine.

> I understand your main concern to be that the description is too broad, is
> that correct? Given that the applicability of Karaf is broad and generic, do
> you have any further suggestions on how better to describe it to make it
> sound more focused? Thanks.

Yes, but my suggestion was inaccurate because I don't know enough
about Karaf.  I just need it to be specific enough to exclude what
Felix and Sling are already doing, at least, and preferably exclude
other applications of OSGI as well.  And you can be specific to Java,
unless you actually intend not to be.

....Roy

p.s.  and PLEASE don't CC private lists on public email