I think I didn't follow you, but if you didn't promote the release on Nexus, the artifacts won't be released, so the current staging 2.5.0 won't be promoted. So, you can drop the staging repo, remove the tag, fix your issue and redo the release again.

If you already promoted the staging repo, I agree with you.

Regards
JB