I think testing can be done easily with the current SNAPSHOT (or the artifacts from the staging repository if it needed to be a non-SNAPSHOT dependency). Also I have done pretty intensive testing during the last month (with both Felix HCs and "legacy checks" that are currently implemented against Sling HC API, see [1]).

The worst that can happen is that we find a bug in the core, that we can fix with just releasing the core. I don't think test results would be able to change the API, especially since it has been around for so long.

-Georg

[1] "The Felix HC Executor already takes Sling HCs into account"
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-5952?focusedCommentId=16643281&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16643281

On 2019-01-31 17:37, Christian Schneider wrote:
How about releasing 0.1.0 now and release a 2.0.0 in two weeks?
It would give people time to test the new project and still allow us to do
incompatible changes.

A release of 2.0.0 right now will fixate the API. If we then do a
(incompatible) change we have to create a 3.0.0 version which will confuse
users that switched early.

I also rather propose to name the first major release 1.0.0 but this is not
really important.

Christian

Am Do., 31. Jan. 2019 um 17:18 Uhr schrieb Georg Henzler <fe...@ghenzler.de
:

Hi Christian,

I think the API [1] is proven and in use since 2013 (I would guess >
2000 checks to exist out in the wild in code bases of various projects).
The Felix API was carefully adjusted with your feedback (e.g. the
removal of state DEBUG, FELIX-6016) to make the migration path really
easy for 99% of the checks that exist.

In the migration guide in Sling that I will write I don't think I can
ask people to change from stable version Sling HC API 1.0.2 to a Felix
API "preview version" 0.1.0. Also, maintaining Sling HCs and Felix HCs
in parallel for some time is the worst of all options IMHO.

So this really leaves us to push forward with Felix HC API 2.0.0 - if we
find valid reasons to make changes we'll just bump versions according
semantic versioning.

-Georg

[1] https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-hc-api

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=issuekey%20in%20(FELIX-6024%2CFELIX-6025%2CFELIX-6017%2CFELIX-6018%2CFELIX-6016%2CFELIX-6012%2CFELIX-6011%2CFELIX-6010%2CFELIX-6005%2CFELIX-6004%2CFELIX-5952)