On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Assuming we get the git hub mirrors up and working there nothing stopping
> anyone from using github to supply patches and diff in the usual way. A git
> hub pull request can be converted directly into a patch file and applied
> easily.
>
> There's one outstanding issue in how do we close pull requests, I asked
> this before but no one seem to know the answer.

I am confused, how is this related to the current topic under discussion?

> I don't think it would be possible to use github for the "official"
> whiteboards as it brings up a number of issues for infra and the ASF ie
> knowing who contributed, licensing issues etc etc basically the normal
> issues for bit of donated code.

GitHub keeps track of everything.  Code that goes into the whiteboard is
generally unstructured, experimental code.  Only the committer decides when
that goes into an official repo.  This has to be done manually and the
commit comments should have all the information about who contributed to
this piece of code.  Which means that we cannot bring the GitHub history
with us as well.  I dont see the need for that.  If someone wants to see
the history, they can always go to the relevant GitHub repo and look at it.

Thanks,
Om