On May 13, 2013 2:20 AM, "Justin Mclean" <jus...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Because those repos are svn mirroring in git/github they're not really
Git repos
> Cassandra, mavin and couchdb I believe use Git as their primary VC system
(but not 100% sure) and are not SVN mirrors.

> > in fact, if you review our flex-sdk repo in GitHub, you can found a
trunk branch, from svn legacy.
> Yes and I think this should be deleted. We don't need a both a master and
a trunk. That's just confusing.

> > Well, most of Git applications, assumes these structure
(master/develop/origin) to work, and is global agreement of use
> So currently our release procedure is incorrect and confusing (checking
out of svn, merge into trunk etc etc ).

> https://cwiki.apache.org/FLEX/release-guide-for-the-sdk.html
>
>  Can someone who knows git please correct this.
>
> Even if we remove the trunk branch how do we make github default to the
develop branch?

> There are 3 options I see here.
> 1. Remove github mirrors altogether.
> 2. Change github to default to the development branch and delete trunk
and patches branches.
> 3. Make all changes in master rather than develop.
>
> Continuing as we have been is not an option as it just causes confusion
and give the wrong impression of progress/work to the wider community.

> > but "master" must be preserved it's a Git requeriment.
> And that should stay.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Once again, Git != GitHub.  We should not make any changes to our repo to
accommodate GitHub.  Unless we have write privileges on this GitHub, like
we do for the whiteboard repos wet have been working on.

We can ask Infra to make minor tweaks like adding better descriptions to
these github repos, and making develop as the default visible branch, etc.
Other than that we should not spend more time on this 'issue'.

Thanks,
Om