Hi,

> Nothing is really wrong there, is just for an philosophical criteria based on
> best practices of git.

Sorry but iMO it's not best practices, its just that a vocal group of git users
think this it's the way to do things(tm) but other git users think otherwise.
We also need to remember that have a central repo, need to apply with the
Apache way of doing things and that can sometimes be at time odds with the git
(or github) way of doing things. IMO Apache values traceability over a "clean"
history.

A good article about the pro and cons of merge and rebase can be found here
[1], it's interesting to note the Atlasssian approach.

1. http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/10/git-team-workflows-merge-or-rebase/