Hi all,

Thanks for the feedbacks. But I want to clarify the motivation to disable
"Squash and merge" is just because of the regression/bug of the missing
author information.
If GitHub fixes this later, I think it makes sense to bring this button
back.

Hi Stephan & Zhijiang,

To be honest, I love the "Squash and merge" button and often use it. It
saves me a lot of time to merge PRs, because pulling and pushing commits in
China is very unstable.

I don't think the potential problems you mentioned is a "problem".
For "Squash and merge",
 - "Merge commits": there is no "merge" commits, because GitHub will squash
commits and rebase the commit and then add to the master branch.
 - "This closes #<pr>" line to track back: when you click "Squash and
merge", it allows you to edit the title and description, so you can
add "This closes #<pr>" message to the description the same with in the
local git. Besides, GitHub automatically append "(#<pr>)" after the title,
which is also helpful to track.

Best,
Jark