I agrees that overloading the “file” option seems like a bad idea. As an
alternative to separate commands, what about mutually exclusive options,
‘—file’ and ‘—dir’?

If you go for implementing the new functionality as a separate command, I would
suggest calling the gfsh commands: “export data-parallel” and “import
data-parallel"