I thought about a mutually exclusive —file and —dir, but in that case, -—file
is required for standard and —path required for parallel export, which I
think could be better than overloading —file, but still has potential for
confusion.

The idea of deprecating —file in favor of path is interesting. I wonder if
instead of making them mutually exclusive to start, having —path be able to
support both modes from the start would be better? That way —file could
still be used for the existing mode, but —path could be used instead (and
override —file is both given?): that would provide a clear path forward for
how the command should be used, while fully supporting existing workflows.

We need to continue to support both modes, as only Partitioned Regions can
make use of parallel export (it is parallelized on a bucket level).