>The current SSL implementation is also susceptible to man-in-the-middle as
>well. This proposal is really independent of those proposed changes.

This proposal is independent of the proposed changes to use default
context.
In both cases, the risk is similar if keys are compromised.
But in the proposed case there is a risk if DNS is compromised.
Also in the legacy case, we can at least recommend users to bring in trust
store with only specific keys/CAs.

> Are you proposing that we ship a custom trust manager that verifies hosts
on all TLS connections?

SSLParameters has a property 'setEndpointIdentificationAlgorithm[1]'
that can be set and it enabled hostname verification during an SSLSocket
handshake.

[1]
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/javax/net/ssl/SSLParameters.html#setEndpointIdentificationAlgorithm-java.lang.String-

Sai