> 1.) We add some product code/lucene listener to detect whether we have old
> versions of geode and if so, do not write to lucene on the newly updated
> node until all versions are up to date.

Elaborating on this option a little more, this might be as simple as
something like the below at the beginning of LuceneEventListener.process.
Maybe there is a better way to cache/check whether there are old members.

The danger with this approach is that the queues will grow until the
upgrade is complete. But maybe that is the only way to successfully do a
rolling upgrade with lucene indexes.

boolean hasOldMember = cache.getMembers().stream()
    .map(InternalDistributedMember.class::cast)
    .map(InternalDistributedMember::getVersionObject)
    .anyMatch(version -> version.compareTo(Version.GEODE_1_11_0) <0);

if(hasOldMember) {
  return false;
}