On May 30, 2005, at 6:59 PM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

On 5/30/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On May 30, 2005, at 4:18 PM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

On 5/30/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm too dim to figure out how, because no matter what, since there is
no notion of a tag or branch, no matter how you slice and dice,
either you branch to a different root when you cut a version, or you
have to get the whole history anytime you checkout anything...

On many other projects, I have always relied heavily on tagging.

Me too - and then converting tags into branches if need be.  But you
can't do that in SVN.

All
work is conducted on the HEAD unless it's highly experimental and then
it occurs in its own branch. Once the HEAD is ready for a release I
tag it and do the release. But I can see the value in keeping things
separate as in trunk and sandbox. The tagging can then take care of
stable vs. unstable.

Bruce... there is no tagging in SVN :)  That's the problem.

There most certainly is tagging in SVN.

agreed.  the revision # :)

Albeit the concept of tagging
in SVN is very different from CVS.

Yes.  That's why I say it isn't tagging.  It's just copying.

The same is true for branches in
SVN as well. SVN just makes copies of everything because the SVN
developers made the assumption that disk space is cheap. This doesn't
mean that we can't continue to utilize tagging just the way we have
with the mileston releases so far.

Well, it does if you want to avoid getting the entire history of the project when you do a co. That's really the issue.

geir

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print unpack("u30","D0G)[EMAIL PROTECTED]&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\! G;6%I;\"YC;VT*"
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo