On Aug 23, 2006, at 12:56 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
I don't really see why it should be in the 1.1 branch for the following reasons:

First off... the plugin is to support G 1.1

* it's a m2 plugin and can not be part of the 1.1 release procedure, at least for the reason that it depends on the artifacts being published on a m2 repo, which will
     obviously not be the case when releasing geronimo.

Second, it depends on the G 1.1 artifacts. Its easy enough to hook it up to the m1 build.

  * it will never be part of the distributions

Neither does the 1.2 plugins, but they are released to the same artifact repository. And infact one of the distributions does not contain any of the ejb stuff (minimal), so does that mean that all of the ejb related modules should live outside of the 1.2 tree? Um... no :-P

* it would be very nice, if users could use it asap and not wait until 1.1.x to be able to build Geronimo plugins in an easier way than building them
     manually

What tree they go into has little or nothing to do with how users will be able to access it before an official release.

Any locations would be fine, but i really do not see it in the branches/1.1 or something
like that, unless we could release it independanly.
I have checked it in "/sandbox/car-maven-plugin" until we find on an agreement for its future
location.

I'm going to insist that we put this into branches/1.1. Of course you can release it independently... you can do that for anything in an module... its only a matter of how much extra work (and possibly pain) we want to take on to manage and maintain the setup.

I would to see, this code added to branches/1.1, and then released as a 1.1.2-SNAPSHOT, and then get folks building plugins for 1.1 to switch over to using it, and then we can discus how/when we want to release it. My gut tells me we want to release it with the server. Its going to be much easier for users to know that when I G 1.1.x that I need to use the CAR 1.1.x plugin. If they get out of sync, then we are just going to confuse people.

--jason