On Jan 19, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Hernan Cunico wrote:

Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
On Jan 18, 2007, at 6:12 AM, Hernan Cunico wrote:
Howdy,
it may sound weird asking this now but I'm either creating JIRAs the wrong way or we are not displaying the all the info in http:// issues.apache.org/jira/browse/geronimo (or I just don't know how to read it)

On the JIRA front page for GERONIMO you can see open issues due to be fixed per version. When I create a JIRA for a specific version I normally specify the "affected version" (let's say 2.0-M2) in the *Affects Version/ s:* box and leave the *Fix Version/s:* empty as I don't really know for sure when that issue is going to be fixed unless I am the assignee.

This issue I just created does not get listed (counted actually) for that particular version in the project's JIRA home page.

Is this query is automatically provided by JIRA or we can customize it to show the affected version instead? At this particular point in time the actual setting show 5 open issues, if we could change it to affected versions it would show 16.

Does this make any sense at all?

Again, it might be just me not really understanding how to use JIRAs.

Comments appreciated
I think that Jira is working correctly as is. It should not show up on the radar, http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/geronimo, until someone makes a commitment to fixing it for a particular release at which time the issue gets assigned "Fix Version/s".

So then that page is not representative of the number of issues open against a particular version. It looks more like a wish list of issues to be resolved by that particular release.

If done correctly it should look like a list of issues that people have made a commitment to fix. This dashboard is really for outsiders to get a tactical sense of what's coming down the pipeline in terms of releases, not the defect rate of previous versions.

If you look at the description below the Versions column on the home page you will see "with open issues due to be fixed per version". This indicates that someone has made a commitment to complete the issue for that version.

"with open issues due to be fixed per version" for me has a different meaning. IMO all issues need to be fixed, assigned or not, my point is that there are a bunch more issues that have been reported that are not being listed.

Sometimes, actually quite often, bugs have a long life and can span many release versions. If these bugs showed up in the dashboard we would end up with inflated figures as to the workload that is waiting to be done. A more accurate list of work that needs to be resolved is on the right hand side, Open Issues By Priority.

Maybe there should be a condition that one cannot specify the "Fix versions" unless that issues is assigned to that person, then we know for sure who made the commitment to get that issue fixed for that particular release.

This has always been my desire since just dumping issues into a potential release w/ no real person making a commitment to fix dilutes the usefulness of the tactical dashboard.

Regards,
Alan