I'm looking at the problem.
I can't even re-build the latest release of the annotation spec.
Try the following:

svn co
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/tags/geronimo-annotation_1.0_spec-1.1.0
mvn source:jar javadoc:jar install

The javadoc fails :-( and the source jar does not include the legal files.
The only way I can think of to include these files is to use the maven
remote resource plugin.
See

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/plugins/tags/maven-javadoc-plugin-2.3/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugin/javadoc/JavadocJar.java?revision=556389&view=markup

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/plugins/tags/maven-source-plugin-2.0.4/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugin/source/AbstractSourceJarMojo.java?revision=593233&view=markup

They both include resources that are in the
maven-shared-archive-resources directory, which is the one create by
the remote resource plugin.
I have serious doubts that the previous release were done with maven
(at least for the javadocs and source jars).

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet