On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Joe Bohn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  A bit of unfinished business from 2.1 is the release of samples.  I
>  think we need to get these fixed and available fairly soon for 2.1.
>  Here are some questions for discussion around that and how we should
>  manage the samples in general.
>
>  1) Do we release all the samples collectively or individually?  My vote
>  would be collectively.

Collectively.

>  2) When to release the samples?  I think we should make an effort to
>  release the samples concurrent with each Geronimo release.  This is
>  important because the jsp & servlet examples are referenced from within
>  the welcome page on Geronimo.  I suppose we could remove that reference
>  and eliminate the need to release concurrently.

Concurrent with each Geronimo release but little bit afterwards is ok
with me too. I think we should remove that samples reference from the
welcome screen.

>  3) Managing sample source.  IMO the only place we should maintain source
>  for the samples is in svn.  I think Jarek managed to update all of the
>  sample doc with references to the svn repo for each sample but I think
>  there might be a place or two where we include a zip of the source in
>  the wiki in addition to the SVN reference (at least I recall seeing some
>  not too long ago).  I plan to hunt them out and remove those attachments
>  where they are already checked into svn.

IMO, svn only. No attached zips or ears, or etc.

>  4) More on managing source....  I think our source for the samples
>  should mirror the source for the server in terms of branches/tags.

Yes, +1.

>  5) Should we make all samples plugins?  At the moment the jsp-examples,
>  servlet-examples, and ldap-sample-app are plugins.  The other 12 samples
>  are not. I'd be in favor of creating a plugin for each and will work on
>  doing this unless I hear objections.

I'm ok with that but I don't think that's critical.

>  I'm sure there are a lot of other issues .... this is just to get the
>  ball rolling.

Yes, thanks for doing that!

I also just setup our automated builds to checkout and build the
samples (for trunk and branches/2.1). The results should be included
in the build emails we already get and that info should start showing
up soon (or once I get my shell scripts right :)).

Jarek