On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 08:57, Gianny Damour
<gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> FWIW, I believe that improving the configuration style to simplify the
> means of creating a bunch of objects in the kernel has more benefits than
> swapping the classloading infra. On paper OSGi may appear as superior from a
> classloading isolation perspective; however, I believe the current CLing
> design is nearly up to par with the OSGi one and that the main challenge is
> to properly tune export/import dependency declarations.

I have to disagree with that.  The CLing mechanism is very different in
Geronimo (from what I recall) and OSGi.  Geronimo uses a multi-parent
classloader style with some nice features to be able to hide / never
override + parent or self-first delegation.
OSGi CLind is very different: the first one is that you don't really have
parent classloaders: the classloader for a given OSGi bundle is calculated
wrt to the constraints expressed in the OSGi manifest using imported
packages or required bundles.
Let's take an example:
   bundle A needs api packages from bundles B and C
   implementation classes from bundle B and C needs something from bundle D
but with different versions
OSGi will be able to handle that because of non tree-like CLind mechanism:
if bundle A is wired to bundle B, it does not have to see all the
requirements from bundle B, and same for C.  Therefore, bundle A can be
wired to both B and C without problems because it will not see bundle D at
all (so there's no conflicts between the two versions of bundle D).

OSGi has a much more powerful CLing mechanism where you can express lots of
different constraints.  The drawback is that establishing the classloader
can take a bit of time, so going to OSGi most certainly leads to a big
slowdown at startup while creating the classloaders.

Also, OSGi does not really play nicely with the usual JEE way to discover
implementations through the MANIFEST/services entries.  That's kinda what
we've tried to solve in servicemix specs, though I'm not sure if that really
applies everywhere because I would imagine the classloaders for EARs are not
really OSGi classloaders ...

I certainly don't want to say OSGi is not the way to go, just want to make
the point that there are benefits but also drawbacks.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet