On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 20:30, David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> express the same ability to access classes with either of them.  Of
>>> course,
>>> the notation you use to express this and the specific information
>>> included
>>> in the configuration is different.
>>>
>>> I think I probably have the most experience with classloading problems in
>>> geronimo and the only real problem that arises is loading a jar in two
>>> different classloaders.   This can be solved by a classloader-per-jar
>>> model
>>> which offers no theoretical problems to set up in geronimo but
>>> practically
>>> would take a lot of work (and maven projects to build a plugin per jar).
>>>  So
>>> I think we'll have to see what kind of problems we get with trying to
>>> actually use OSGI.
>>>

>> Right but that's an important problem which we run into all the time
>> in Geronimo (same jar loaded by two different classloaders). And the
>> solution to this problem is to create another
>> configuration/classloader and make that the parent of the two. This is
>> a pretty 'static' solution while osgi offers 'dynamic' solution where
>> it figures out at runtime which packages to wire together. So
>> Geronimo's and osgi's classloading models might be equivalent ONLY IF
>> we support classloader-per-jar model. Hiding classes/packages in a
>> classloader is not enough.
>>

> Our classloading system does support classloader-per-jar right now, but we
> haven't set up enough classloaders to act that way, and I'm hoping that osgi
> will provide the same features with less work.  From a conceptual point of
> view I don't see why osgi would be any more or less dynamic than geronimo.
>  The classes are coming out of some versioned jar and IMNSHO you are
> unlikely to want to allow the resolution method to pick anything other than
> the version of the jar for you.  If you leave out the version in the
> dependency geronimo will pick one for you... I'm not sure what the
> equivalent osgi configuration would be.
>
> Basically it seems to me that osgi has the same problem as geronimo here,
> that you have to include some really intrusive metadata in every jar to
> specify the classloading behavior.  Osgi has merely brainwashed everyone
> into thinking that its metadata is desirable since its part of the manifest
> whereas geronimo has some weird binary goo that no one is familiar with.
>  Maven does the same thing, packing the pom into every jar it builds (plus
> supplying it alongside in the repository)
>
> So, everyone has the same problem -- you need a bunch of classloader
> metadata associated with the artifacts you want to use -- and pretty much
> agrees on the content, although each solution emphasizes different things.
>  IMO no one has a good solution yet.  For instance AFAICT the felix  bundle
> maven plugin is typically used to effectively convert the maven artifact
> dependencies to equivalent package import/export specifications.

FWIW, the bundle plugin does not really use maven dependencies.  What
happens is that the code that goes inside the osgi bundle is introspected to
find all the list of all packages that are needed.  This list is then
converted into the OSGi manifest import along with any additional
constraints or modification of those default constrainst.  At some point
(not sure if this has been done yet), maven optional dependencies should be
used to specify optional package imports, but even if you miss a dependency
or add some that are not really needed, it won't really affect the osgi
metadata generated.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet