I am not a tomcat expert either... :-)  I think we could also try the
following approach:
1. figure out how to read tomcat server.xml like you described.
Tomcat is using
2. at the G server startup, transform data in tomcat server.xml into G
config.xml, if there is change to server.xml since last time server
started.  I think coming up for the mapping could be hard as
configuring some features like valve or cluster requires
documentation, time and experience.   Also, there could be some
functions/configurations in server.xml that we don't support in G yet.
3. During G startup, G can just build the embedded tomcat server by
reading data from config.xml, like what it is doing today.

AFAIK, server.xml doesn't contain any app info.   I agree that this is
a very big change and requires a lot of testing to make sure things
are not regressed.

Lin