On Aug 25, 2009, at 5:38 PM, John Murph wrote:

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 2:16 AM, Hans Dockter <m...@dockter.biz> wrote: I would love to have a better name for configurations. Initially I just took this name from Ivy as I couldn't think of anything better. Even with Ivy I guess it is not a perfect name. But in the context of a build system it is really confusing.

Mostly configurations are classpaths, but not always (e.g. they may contain distribution archives). Why not calling configurations paths?

paths {
  compile "commons-io:commons-io:1.4"
}

paths.compile.files ...

Hans, I think this example is wrong, and was misleading me. Shouldn't it be:

paths {
   compile
}

dependencies {
   compile "commons-io:commons-io:1.4"
}

Of course. Sorry for the mistake.

paths.compile.files ...

Or were you assuming the merging of those separate closures? (I would love to see them merged, BTW.)

How would distinguish the creation of a configuration from a typo in case things are merged?

I like using the word "dependencies" to describe a project's dependencies, not the word "paths". This would make the last line be dependencies.compile.files which, while not a pretty phrase, does tie it in nicely with the declaration.

I see your point. But that would leave our terminology with ambiguities. You would assign a dependency (current terminology) to a dependency (a.k.a configuration). This problem would be also reflected in code:

dependencies.compile.allDependencies

- Hans

--
Hans Dockter