Am 24.02.2014 00:48, schrieb Daz DeBoer:
On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 3:25 AM, Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieu...@gmail.com
<mailto:stan.ieu...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Hello,

    Short version question: What would it take to make gradle build with
    groovy 2 - (before Debian Jessie Freeze at start of this November) ?

Short answer: we can't switch to Groovy 2 without breaking compiled
plugins, and we have a strict backward compatibility standard for minor
releases.

Since we haven't deprecated support for Groovy 1.8.6, it's unlikely
we'll remove support for this version in Gradle 2.0, our next major
release.

your comment implies binary incompatibility. Maybe you did not mean that, but Groovy 2 is binary compatible with even Groovy 1.0 - afaik

What you might wanted to say is that there have been API changes. If they are only in DefaultGroovyMethods (and friends), then gradle can use an extension module to provide a different behaviour quite easily.

Imho the real question is: what would really break if you used Groovy 2? And I get th feeling, that nobody can answer that really in any, but one case (a change in DefaultGroovyMethods, which gradle can fix on the gradle side)

but I very well understand that gradle wants still to support Groovy 1.8.6.

Instead, I believe the plan is to introduce the ability for Gradle to
handle multiple Groovy versions. If this were done, it _should_ be
possible to build and use Gradle on a platform that does not have 1.8.6
support (perhaps with some tweaks to enable this). But adding this
ability will be a non-trivial undertaking.

are there some experiences with that?

bye blackdrag

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou - Groovy Project Tech Lead
german groovy discussion newsgroup: de.comp.lang.misc