On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 2:42 AM, Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org> wrote:

> Am 24.02.2014 00:48, schrieb Daz DeBoer:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 3:25 AM, Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieu...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:stan.ieu...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hello,
>>
>>     Short version question: What would it take to make gradle build with
>>     groovy 2 - (before Debian Jessie Freeze at start of this November) ?
>>

>> Short answer: we can't switch to Groovy 2 without breaking compiled
>> plugins, and we have a strict backward compatibility standard for minor
>> releases.
>>

>> Since we haven't deprecated support for Groovy 1.8.6, it's unlikely
>> we'll remove support for this version in Gradle 2.0, our next major
>> release.
>>

> your comment implies binary incompatibility. Maybe you did not mean that,
> but Groovy 2 is binary compatible with even Groovy 1.0 - afaik
>
> What you might wanted to say is that there have been API changes. If they
> are only in DefaultGroovyMethods (and friends), then gradle can use an
> extension module to provide a different behaviour quite easily.

Thanks for the clarification. It seems like a few members of the Gradle
team (myself included) were operating under the incorrect assumption that
there was binary incompatibility between 1.x and 2.0, and that by moving to
2.0 _every_ plugin that was compiled against Groovy 1.x would need to be
recompiled. This was considered an unacceptable situation, even moving to
Gradle 2.0.

If the majority of compiled plugins would continue to function even if we
changed Gradle to use Groovy 2.x, then we'd probably make the switch for
the next major version of Gradle, which will happen in the next 6 months.

> Imho the real question is: what would really break if you used Groovy 2?
> And I get th feeling, that nobody can answer that really in any, but one
> case (a change in DefaultGroovyMethods, which gradle can fix on the gradle
> side)

@Ioan, if you're still interested in helping out, it would be great to know
just how many things will break with a change to Groovy 2. You could fork
the Gradle project, make the change and the work on getting things running.
@Jochen if you've got bandwidth to assist, I'm sure your Groovy expertise
would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
Daz