It's not a simple decision. A beta isn't something to play with. There are
users, and companies, using Groovy. You cannot simply say "this is new,
let's try this". There are backwards compatibility concerns, as well as
deployment issues. We agreed, a few months ago, to make 3.0 the breaking
release, not 2.5. I'm not against having a 2.5 beta *and* a 3.0 beta. But
those should be different artifacts. There's no need to mix the risks.
Especially, there's no need to put in the same release the macro stuff and
the requirement to upgrade to Java 8. As much as I love the idea of a
breaking 3.0, I definitely don't like the idea of a 2.5 "beta" which is a
"3.0 alpha". Let's make 3.0 the real breaking release, not 2.5.