Hi!

With 3.0 on the horizon, we could look into bumping the minimum required
Java version for HBase.

The last discussion I could find was four years ago, when dropping 8.0
support was rejected.

https://lists.apache.org/thread/ph8xry0x37cvjj89fp2jk1k48yb7gs46

Now it's four years later, and the end of OpenJDK support for Java 8 and 11
are much closer.
(Oracle public support is so short that I consider that irrelevant)

Some critical dependencies (like Jetty) have ended even regular security
support for Java 8.

By supporting Java 8 we are alse limiting ourselves to using an already 10
year old Java release, ignoring any developments in the language.

My take is that with the current dogmatic emphasis on CVE mitigation the
benefits of bumping the required JDK version outweigh the benefits even for
the legacy install base, especially it's getting harder and harder to be
CVE free with Java 8.

Furthermore, with RedHat dropping JDK11 support this year, I think we could
also consider bumping the minimum requirement straight to JDK 17.

Hadoop is still on Java 8, but previously it has dropped Java 7 support in
a patch release, and I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped Java 8 in a
similar manner, so I would not put too much stock in that.

What do you think ?

Thanks,
Rajeshbabu.