AFAIK spring 6 and spring-boot 3 have jumped to java17 directly, so if we
want to upgrade, I also suggest that we jump to java 17 directly.

While upgrading to java 17 can reduce our compatibility work on branch-3+,
but consider the widely usage for java 8, I think we still need to support
branch-2 for several years, then this will increase the compatibility work
as the code between branch-3+ and branch-2.x will be more and more
different.

So for me, a workable solution is

1. We first claim that branch-3+ will move minimum java support to 11 or 17.
2. Start to move the compilation to java 11 or 17, but still keep release
version 8, and still keep the pre commit pipeline to run java 8, 11, 17, to
minimum our compatibility work before we have the first 3.0.0 release.
3. Cut branch-3.0 and release 3.0.0, so we have a 3.0.0 release, actually
which can still run on java 8, so it will be easier for our users to
upgrade to 3.x and reduce our pressure on maintaining branch-2, especially
do not need to back port new features there.
4. Start to move the release version to 11 or 17 on branch-3+, and prepare
for 3.1.0 release, which will be the real 11 or 17 only release.

Thanks.

Bryan Beaudreault <bbeaudrea...@apache.org>于2024年4月30日 周二02:54写道: