I am a huge +1 for dropping java8.

One reason I would suggest going to 17 is that it seems so hard to change
these things given our long development cycle on major releases. There are
some nice language features in 17, but more importantly is that the initial
release of java11 was released 6 years ago and java17 released 3 years.
Java21 is already released as well. So I could see java17 being widely
available enough that we could jump "in the middle" rather than to the
oldest LTS.

I will say that we're already running java 21 on all of our hbase/hadoop in
prod (70 clusters, 7k regionservers). I know not every organization can be
that aggressive, and I wouldn't suggest jumping to 21 in the codebase. Just
pointing it out in terms of basic support already existing and being stable.