On 13/05/2010, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 01:12 +0100, sebb wrote:
>  > On 12/05/2010, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>  > > Please vote on releasing these packages as HttpComponents Client
>  > >  4.1-alpha2. The vote is open for the next 72 hours, and only votes from
>  > >  HttpComponents PMC members are binding. The vote passes if at least
>  > >  three binding +1 votes are cast and there are more +1 than -1 votes.
>  > >
>  > >  Packages:
>  > >  http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpclient-4.1-alpha2/
>  >
>  > Please can you upload the Maven packages as well, so we can vote on those
> too?
>  >
>  > Should be largely a formality if the main packages are OK, but they do
>  > need to be voted on.
>  >

> Sebastian, we have been through that, haven't we? Only source package
>  represents an official release artifact that needs to be voted on.

The Maven artifacts always include source files, either as source jars
(which should be provided), if not then at least pom.xml will be
included.

>  Binary artifacts are merely byproducts. If you want to verify they are
>  ok, you should build them from source.

That's not strictly true either - binary artifacts need to be
inspected to ensure that the appropriate N&L files are present.

>  My main problem is not with uploading a bunch of files, but the fact you
>  are changing an established release process in the middle of a release
>  without prior discussion and a consent from other committers.

My point is that the process is IMO not following the ASF standard,
and therefore needs to be fixed.