I think the way it is done in Hadoop space is better for Hadoop space (and
better wrt consistency, us being in the Hadoop space).
Because no single company or QA process controls or covers all the changes
to the product, and some changes go unseen by every actor, stabilization
period is a must...

And anyway enterprise software on trunk model does not cut releases
immediately off trunk and ship them. With enterprise software there's
lengthy QA, with Hadoop there's lengthy "cutting edge" release.
How about we cut 1.0 with stable version 0.14.1, and instead of 0.15 do
2.0, like HBase did?
We can maintain 1.0 as maintenance release; with 2.0 we can add new
unstable stuff, and also remove all the old paths we don't care about (old
Hadoop support, HiveCLI(?), old Java version support) etc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE